Butternut squash macaroni and cheese, a more healthy version of the classic macaroni and cheese, but with the same great creamy cozy flavour!
2 cups macaroni noodles, cooked Al Dente
2 cups butternut squash sauce or soup - I love La De Da's Butternut Squash and Beet Sauce
2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup shredded Italian style cheese
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup crushed mini-baguette crisps or all-natural croutons
4 tablespoons butter
4 pieces bacon, chopped finely
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 2-litre (8-cup) ovenproof dish.
2. Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water for 2 minutes less than the package recommends. Drain and set aside
3. Cook bacon in the same pan until crispy. Drain on a paper towel and set aside.
4. Melt butter in the same pan. Add flour and cook for 1 minute while stirring continuously.
5. Gradually add in the milk and butternut squash sauce, and cook, stirring occasionally until sauce boils and thickens.
6. Stir in cheese until melted. Pour into an ovenproof dish and top with breadcrumbs and bacon. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
If you're gluten-free, use gluten-free macaroni and replace the bread crumbs with corn flakes.
If you're dairy-free, sub the milk with almond milk and cheese with 1 cup vegan cheese + 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes.